Reporting to, and working closely with, the Co-Executive Directors, the Chief Operating Officer is a newly created senior leadership role with overall responsibility for the rapidly growing operations of the Sunrise Project.
While the program teams are focused on their mission to drive the shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy, this role will lead the operational activities and ensure the organisational systems are tight, lean, and fit for purpose. Spanning financial management, risk, and compliance through to organisational systems, IT, and HR functions, this role requires big picture strategic thinking as well as serious attention to detail.
Key accountabilities include:
- Overall financial management of the organisation including management of external service providers, audit, budgeting and reporting
- Working closely with the executive team and the Head of People and Culture to maintain a healthy, vibrant, and creative work culture
- Working closely with the board and Company Secretary to ensure the highest standard of governance, including meeting all statutory reporting and compliance obligations
- Working with inhouse legal counsel to pro-actively identify and manage risk, including managing the organisation’s risk register, risk management systems and processes
- Ensuring effective and efficient systems are in place to administer grants programs, including management of grant agreements, record keeping, compliance and donor reporting
You are an experienced organisational manager with a track record of leading the operations of a dynamic and fast-moving organisation. As an all-rounder you have strong financial management skills and broad experience of organisational governance and compliance, whilst understanding what it takes to create a vibrant and creative organisational culture that supports people to do their best work and enables teams to be more than the sum of their parts. You are just as comfortable navigating spreadsheets as you are negotiating contracts, managing risks, or helping to manage organisational scaling in ways that avoid bureaucracy and foster innovation.
In addition to a passion for action on climate change, commitment to social justice and keen interest in how social change happens, the successful candidate will require:
- Demonstrated experience in a similar senior role
- Demonstrated high level experience managing organisational finance and budgets (relevant qualifications in finance or accounting will be beneficial but not an absolute requirement)
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, and a strong track record of managing people and supporting teams to learn and grow
- Strong understanding of the compliance obligations of Australian companies and charities
- Flexibility, with the ability to manage complex projects and juggle a wide range of competing priorities
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports their staff to do their best work and develop professionally, with a number of employee benefits, such as flexible work, annual leave loading of 17.5%, and cultural and birthday leave. This role will present the successful individual with an opportunity to lead an operations team to support The Sunrise Project’s growing program team and affiliates working across multiple continents. The salary range is $135,000 to $142,000, plus 12.5% Superannuation and this is a full time (35 hours per week) position, reporting to the Co-Executive Director
For a confidential discussion contact Nathan Kelly on 0418 742 529 or apply here.