Consulting Role: Temporary Chief of Staff
Position Title: Temporary Chief of Staff
Duration: early /mid-June – October 31, 2020
Location: Pacific time zone preferred, but flexible
Reports to: co-Executive Director
Hours per week (average): We are open to 60% – 100% time arrangements
Contract rate :$10k – $15k / mo (depending on availability and experience)
Seasoned team-builder with serious management, organizational, and operational skills to provide leadership and support group cohesion while our existing Chief of Staff is on parental leave, and to support a smooth transition for her return.
The Sunrise Project is a small organisation with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe, Asia and the US, we’re focused on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy, and shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels.
Through our grants program we provide partner NGOs with the capacity they need, while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. Our operating model involves working in close collaboration with both donors and NGOs and we re-grant roughly 2/3 of our annual budget to partner organisations in Australia, the US, Europe and Asia.
The Sunrise Project is committed to justice and equality. We value diversity at all levels of the organisation and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe that a wide array of perspectives promotes innovation and makes our team more creative, flexible and productive.
For more information about how we work, please visit: www.sunriseproject.org.au
You’re an experienced manager of teams and are confident in your leadership skills. You love supporting people and teams to do their best work and have the skills to lean into the challenging conversations that are invariably needed to do this. You’ve got strong organizational development skills and are equally comfortable thinking through HR and operational considerations as you are facilitating team meetings. You’re a great project manager and are comfortable juggling multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
You are comfortable diving into new teams and issues, are a quick learner, and are naturally collaborative. In terms of experience, you might have a track record managing campaign teams in a large NGO, or perhaps running a small or medium-sized NGO as an Executive Director Chief of Staff, or Chief Operating Officer. You don’t need to be an expert in our issue areas, but you need to have strategic nous, curiosity, and the ability to learn quickly.
The Chief of Staff, Global Climate Program is the hub role within a vibrant and entrepreneurial system of program areas. This is a senior role requiring high level management skills and strong personal leadership qualities. The Chief of Staff supports Program Directors and leadership through program coordination, managing cross-cutting staff, and ensuring effective management and administration of the sunrise US project. Working collaboratively with staff across The Sunrise Project’s many geographies, the Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring alignment and coordination of internal processes and communications, finding and building synergies, and nurturing a healthy team culture. This role works closely with, and reports to, the Executive Director.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- The Temporary Chief of Staff will be responsible for managing 5 direct reports whose work involves overseeing The Sunrise Project’s major campaign areas, along with administrative support for our work.
- Proactively nurture a vibrant and healthy team culture that supports all our team to do their best work and where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
- Plan and facilitate standing and ad hoc internal staff meetings to ensure alignment around priorities, clear decision-making processes and decisions, and swift and coordinated management of any internal or external challenges.
- Ensure strong operational, management, and administration of our international program including in close coordination with our US fiscal sponsor (the Windward Fund) and our Sunrise Australia Operations Director.
- Support implementation of new hiring processes and onboarding systems as we add new members to our team in both the US and Europe.
- Work with Sunrise co-Executive Director to coordinate and roll out organization-wide Justice, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative, which will be facilitated and led by external consultants.
Skills and Experience:
This is a senior role requiring high-level management skills and strong personal leadership qualities.
- Track record of effectively stepping in to short-term projects or contracts to support strong management of teams and organizations during times of transition.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing the organizational and operational needs of a fast-growing organization;
- Strong people management skills and a demonstrated track record of leading high performance teams in an NGO context;
- Demonstrated experience in nurturing vibrant and collaborative team culture;
- Strong project management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and group process skills;
How to Apply
- Please send your resume and a brief note or cover letter expressing your interests in this role, and outlining relevant experience that makes you a strong candidate for this contract to email@example.com. Please also include:
- 3 professional references including their email, phone, and time-zones
- Your start-date availability
- Percentage time you’re available (we are open to arrangements for 60%-100% time)
- Your contract rate