Job Advertisement: Director, Corporate Employee Campaigns
The Sunrise Project is searching for an experienced, passionate and creative leader to develop and scale a new platform (“WorkForClimate”) to accelerate the response of global corporations to address climate change. “WorkForClimate” is a new program which aims to engage and support the employees of major companies to advocate for solutions to address climate change inside of their organisations.
Recent environmental disasters have given rise to a growing number of climate-concerned professionals to have an impact in their workplace making this the ideal time to build such a program. If successful, we aim to scale this program from experiments in Australia, to the ASX100, and then on to the Global 2000. We’re looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who is passionate about inspiring and supporting corporate staff to drive aggressive climate goals within their workplaces.
The Sunrise Project is a small organisation with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe and the US, we’re focussed on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy in Australia, and shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels.
Through our grants program we provide partner NGOs with the capacity they need, while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work: www.sunriseproject.org.au
First and foremost, you’re a self-driven leader who is deeply passionate about solving the climate crisis. You are looking for a way to have deep personal impact on the biggest problem facing humanity, and you’re not afraid to lead from the front. You have an ability to live in two different worlds:
- You understand the corporate world, and how change can happen inside a traditional corporate environment, and you believe in the power of organisations to do great things – if pointed in the right direction. You can build strong relationships with corporate leaders at various levels.
- You understand the world of advocacy and social organising, and how social movements can have a real impact on policy, people, and businesses. You understand the capabilities and the limitations of each of these worlds and know how to use the strengths of each.
- You are an experienced leader and a systems thinker. You’ve launched a web site, you are technology savvy, and you know how to drive outcomes in an online world. You understand how people, process, and technology can be used to scale things faster and further.
The role owns the creation and evolution of a hybrid online and offline platform to enlist corporations to join the fight against climate change, specifically by rallying employees to influence leadership to make change that will have meaningful impact. This platform will involve the use of digital marketing, online communities, best practice playbooks for climate-concerned professionals, as well as collaboration with offline campaigns that are trying to shift corporate behaviour.
- Develop the strategies and tactics to engage and support employees to drive real change on climate policy and action within Global 2000 companies;
- Develop the budget and programs required to achieve the required outcomes;
- Iteratively develop capabilities and platforms that enable scalable engagement of staff across thousands of companies across multiple geographies;
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other business leaders and business-related climate initiatives;
- Work closely with leaders of NGO campaigns to identify and pursue opportunities to engage corporate staff in support of wider movement efforts;
- Manage contractors, service providers and potentially additional staff members;
- Design and manage implementation of campaign activities and events as required.
Specific skills and experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a corporate environment, with exposure to upper management;
- A demonstrated track record of achieving change within large organisations;
- Excellent digital skills including experience launching and scaling a web site and a strong understanding of digital marketing;
- Excellent written communication skills including experience developing compelling written content for targeted audiences;
- A collaborative mindset and a track record of working effectively in alliance with diverse stakeholders;
- A sophisticated understanding of power, including the drivers of, and barriers to, change within large companies;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- High level of initiative and the ability to work independently and solve problems;
- A passion for action on climate change.
Employment Conditions and Renumeration
- This is a full-time position and working hours are flexible.
- The expected salary range for this role is AUD$94,000 – $119,000 depending on experience.
- We envisage this role will be based in Australia, however, exceptional candidates in other countries will be considered.
- Some international travel is required as well as out of hours meetings across various time zones.
- The Sunrise Project values and celebrates diversity among our employees and in our movement. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer — all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or family/marital status.
How to Apply
Please send a single pdf file including 1) a short application letter 2) a resumé including three referees to email@example.com with the subject line “Director, Corporate Employee Campaigns – Your Name”. Applications are due COB February 14th 2020.