Job Advertisement: Senior Campaign Strategist
The Sunrise Project is searching for an experienced change maker who can develop and lead strategies to accelerate the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy.
The Sunrise Project is a small organisation with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe and the US, we’re focussed on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy in Australia, and shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels.
Through our grants program we provide partner NGOs with the capacity they need, while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work: www.sunriseproject.org.au
The Sunrise Project is committed to justice and equality. We value diversity at all levels of the organisation and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe that a wide array of perspectives promotes innovation and makes our team more creative, flexible and productive.
You’re a creative, big picture thinker with a hunger for climate justice. You’ve got a track record of leading effective campaigns that change the world and you are passionate about replacing coal with clean energy. You have a knack for understanding complex systems and a strong understanding of how social change happens and how power operates in Australia. You’re a great facilitator and a natural collaborator and are able to work effectively with people from all walks of life – from community activists through to politicians and business leaders. You’re confident but don’t bring a big ego to your work and are skilled at supporting others to lead.
The role of the Senior Campaign Strategist is to lead the development of campaign strategies to transition Australia beyond polluting energy towards 100% renewable power and to keep fossil fuels safely in the ground. You will play an important role in supporting collaboration across a network of NGOs and other actors to implement impactful campaigns in a highly politicised context. The successful candidate will have responsibility for:
- Developing and articulating compelling campaign strategies to achieve real world outcomes;
- Facilitating and commissioning relevant research, analysis and strategic scanning to inform the development of effective change strategies;
- Facilitating collaboration between program partners to implement campaign strategies;
- Providing strategic advice and support to advocates and community groups to help them run high impact campaigns;
- Nurturing the development and growth of our program partners and the wider climate change movement;
- Managing grant-making in your program area including working with existing and potential new grantees to develop proposals;
- Proactively supporting the growth of a more informed, effective, cohesive and powerful network of groups and individuals working to protect our way of life by shifting Australia beyond fossil fuels.
Required skills and experience
- At least seven years’ experience leading campaigns or programs that have achieved real world change;
- A track record of building alliances and collaborating with diverse stakeholders;
- Proven ability to develop and articulate strategies to win campaigns;
- Ability to rapidly master and stay abreast of complex policy and regulatory issues;
- Excellent interpersonal and public communication skills;
- Strong groupwork and facilitation skills and the ability to work well in small teams;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- A deep passion for and demonstrated commitment to ambitious action on climate change.
Preferred location is Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne. People based in regional areas also strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Contract
Three year contract with potential for extension. The salary range is $98,800 to $119,700 p.a. plus superannuation, depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please send a single pdf file including an application letter that shows how your skills and experience make you the best person for the role and a brief CV (including three referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply before 5pm Tuesday 11th February 2020.