Senior Finance Campaigner
The Sunrise Project is looking for an experienced, passionate and creative finance campaigner to join our team in Europe to help shift global finance out of fossil fuels.
The Sunrise Project is a small organization with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communication professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in the US, Europe and Australia, we’re focused on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels, and accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy in Australia.
Through our grants program we provide partner groups with the capacity they need, while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work, see www.sunriseproject.org.au
Our Finance Program aims to drive a rapid shift of capital out of fossil fuels in order to hasten the transition to clean energy. Working in close partnership with a network of NGOs around the world, we have played a key role in the campaign to encourage the insurance industry to stop insuring and to divest from coal and other fossil fuels. We aim to build on this momentum within the insurance industry while also working with our network of allies to drive shifts with other key financial institutions.
First and foremost, you’re deeply passionate about solving the climate crisis. You’re an experienced campaigner and have a track record of designing and implementing high impact campaigns that win real world outcomes. You’ve got your head in the clouds and your feet on the ground with a knack for developing and articulating big picture strategies while also being able to turn ideas into action. You understand power, who has it, how to build and wield it, and how it operates in the finance sector in relation to climate change. You’re a generalist with an ability to quickly understand and stay across a wide range of complex issues, while also building deep technical knowledge when you need to. If you’re a lone wolf, this role isn’t for you. The way we work is collaborative so you need to a great team player with strong facilitation skills and the ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of different players – from grassroots climate activists to corporate leaders and financial analysts.
This is a senior role that will be responsible for co-developing and implementing strategies to drive large scale shifts in the financial system. Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Develop innovative strategies to accelerate the shift of the finance sector away from fossil fuels;
- Write briefing papers and public communications material;
- Lead strategy development processes, convene meetings and support collaboration between networks of NGOs and other finance sector stakeholders;
- Build relationships and actively engage with senior stakeholders in financial institutions;
- Commission research and carry out analysis to understand the role of financial institutions in the fossil fuel sectors;
- Manage contractors, service providers and potentially additional staff members;
- Design and manage implementation of campaign activities and events as required.
Specific skills/experience needed
- Minimum of 5 years experience leading corporate or finance sector campaigns with a demonstrated track record of implementing strategies that bring about real world change;
- Deep understanding of the drivers of financial markets and the fossil fuel industry;
- Proven ability to develop and articulate strategies to drive change in complex systems;
- Excellent facilitation and convening skills;
- Proven ability to work well in small teams in a fast paced environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High level of initiative and the ability to solve problems;
- Demonstrated commitment to climate justice;
- Knowledge of a second European language is a plus.
This is preferably a full-time position although 0.8FTE would be considered. Working hours are flexible.
The location is flexible, with a preference for one of Europe’s major financial centers.
We offer a generous salary and benefits.
Some international travel is required as well as out of hours meetings across international time zones.
The Sunrise Project values and celebrates diversity among our employees and in our movement. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer — all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or family/marital status.
How to Apply
Please send a single pdf file including a short application letter and a resumé including three referees to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Finance Campaigner – Your Name”. Applications are due by November 25, 2019.