Senior Strategist – Australian Gas
The Sunrise Project is searching for an experienced campaigner who can develop and implement strategies to accelerate the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy.
The Sunrise Project is a small organisation with an oversized impact. Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of researchers, analysts, campaigners and communicators with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe, Asia and the US, we are focused on preventing major new fossil fuel expansions, accelerating the transition to 700% renewable energy in Australia, and shifting the finance sector out of fossil fuels globally.
Through our grants program we provide partner NGOs and community groups with the capacity they need, while our team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work: www.sunriseproject.org.au
The Sunrise Project is committed to justice and equality. We value diversity at all levels of the organisation and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff. We believe that a wide array of perspectives promotes innovation and makes our team more creative, flexible and productive.
You’re a creative and strategic thinker with an unstoppable hunger for climate justice. You are skilled at understanding complex economic and political systems, identifying points of intervention and developing strategies that can lead to real world change. You’ve got a track record of guiding and implementing effective campaigns or projects and you are passionate about protecting people and the environment from the worsening impacts of the climate crisis through the prevention of gas expansion in Australia.
You’re a generalist with an ability to quickly understand and stay across a wide range of complex issues, while also building deep technical knowledge when you need to. You’re comfortable with a wide variety of approaches to achieving change including political, legal, scientific, financial and public communications strategies. You’ve got a knack for problem solving and making things happen.
If you’re a lone wolf, this role is not for you. Our collaborative approach means you need to be a great team player with strong facilitation skills and the ability to build strong relationships with a wide range of different players – from grassroots community members to corporate leaders and financial analysts. You’re confident but don’t bring a big ego to your work and are skilled at mentoring and supporting others to lead.
The role of the Senior Strategist is to collaborate with key allies in the development of campaign strategies to protect Australia’s environment from the expansion of the fossil fuel industry specifically gas. Reporting to the Co-Executive Director, you will play an important role in supporting collaboration and high-level alliances to implement hard-hitting campaigns, and will:
- Collaboratively develop, articulate and evaluate compelling campaign strategies and tactics that support achieving campaign goals and objectives;
- Facilitate and commission relevant research, analysis and horizon scanning to inform the development of effective campaign strategies;
- Build relationships with relevant stakeholders and grassroots networks who are critical to the delivery of campaign goals and support collaboration between them;
- Provide strategic advice to campaign partners, advocates and community groups to help them run high impact campaigns to support program goals;
- Negotiate and manage grant agreements to support key campaigns and organisations and provide advice to senior leadership and the Sunrise board on resource allocation.
Required skills and experience
- At least ten years’ experience delivering campaigns or programs that have achieved real world change;
- Proven ability to develop and articulate multi-faceted campaign strategies;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and visual communications skills;
- Strong groupwork and facilitation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to engage with the technical details of energy projects ideally gas and their environmental impacts and energy market dynamics;
- Demonstrated ability to stay abreast of shifting policy and regulatory environments;
- A deep passion for and demonstrated commitment to action on climate change.
Preferred location is Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. People based in regional areas also strongly encouraged to apply.
- Three-year contract with potential for extension;
- The salary range is $98,800 to $119,700 p.a. plus superannuation, depending on experience.